Conference was awesome with all the kids. We don't have a tv, so they gathered around in a tight-knit circle to listen online (Aaron doesn't like to watch, just listen). Then, we moved onto the front porch with my laptop to watch. Sunny and 60, so they sat, inspecting Nathan's new tackle box (he turned 8 yesterday!). They were nearly content for most to the two hours! Amazing! Second session they kicked the soccer ball around out front in the grass, then moved indoors to help dad with dinner. Aaron's at priesthood, now. Sarah at bedtime asked, those aren't your pajamas, dad! What are those? (he was wearing his white shirt and tie!) He tried to convince her that yes, they were pj's!Look forward to more wonderful sessions tomorrow.
Ah, to hear the words of the prophets and bask in the spirit. I needed to hear messages of hope and encouragement.
I want to save and live providently. I'll remember "We can't afford that" and "We don't need that" and "Where would I wear it?". I'll be content with plastic porch chairs and wait a year or two for that perfect wooden or metal set to adorn my front porch and back deck. I'm grateful for such wonderful outdoor spaces to gather, eat, and play with the family.
Affliction, our common tie, comes at all stages of our lives. It is a key to helping us realize our potential and develop our capacities to love, to empathize, and to serve even in our weakest moments. It's too true that in times of peace, I come to think that my condition in deserved, even natural. But in fact, trials are the natural order and strengthen me and my family. As I come to rely on the Lord for aid and support during trials, I learn trust, patience, and hope in the Lord. I find peace as I turn to Him for strength and courage to continue. And when I see others bearing heavier burdens than I, I feel love for them as I reach out to lift them. And those who carry burdens similar to mine feel close to me as we shoulder our burdens and bear them together. With Matthew 13:11-13 I say, His yoke is easy and His burden is light.
No comments:
Post a Comment